Training and licensingTrainingTraining approvals
Instructors who provide flight training or related theoretical training, including training
for professional categories (air traffic controllers, flight information officers and
maintenance mechanics) are required to have a valid training licence from the Finnish
Civil Aviation Authority or training organization approval, with the exception of a few
small-scale exceptional training circumstances.
The Finnish Civil Aviation Authority which grants the permits and approvals acts as a kind of consumer body on behalf of the trainee, endeavouring to ensure, for example, that the flying school
- has the appropriate staff, classrooms and equipment (aircraft, ground practice equipment)
- arranges the training from a flying establishment suitable for the purpose (e.g., with the necessary first aid and firefighting equipment, telephone, wind direction indicator, a vehicle suitable for transporting an injured person, and radio equipment for communicating between the ground and the aircraft)
- has the necessary written material available for distribution to and learning by the pupil
- that the training is arranged safely and that the aircraft are fitted with the extra equipment required for basic training
- curricula must be of a high standard (approval is required)
- flying instructors must have the appropriate training and authority (a valid flying instructor’s certificate).